This month, I’m going back to Springfield to consider legislation with my colleagues. We have a lot to accomplish in a small window of time and I am optimistic that we will make serious progress.
I’d like to thank the Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago, which recently presented me with the Justice Laura C Liu Lifetime Achievement Award. I also want to thank the Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development for selecting me as one of 35 legislators from across the Midwest to participate in their program.
As always, please contact my office if we can be of assistance and please see below for district news and information.
As always if you are in need of any assistance, please call my office at 847486-8810.
Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Rental Assistance Applications Open Cook County is now accepting applications through October 29th for the latest round of Cook County rental assistance. In order to qualify, applicants must live in suburban Cook County, meet income eligibility requirements and have proof of a financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information on the program and to apply visit the County’s rental help website HERE.
Business Recovery Grants coming to the 17th District The Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity has announced a total of $1,090,000 was awarded through the latest round of Back 2 Business grants to local businesses in the 17th District. To monitor current grant opportunities please visit DCEO’s website HERE.
Flick Park testing continues The COVID-19 testing center run by Northshore Clinical Labs in partnership with the Glenview Park District at Flick Park will continue to run through December 31st, 2021. Registration is required, you can make an appointment HERE.
Hours at the testing facility have been updated and are now:
Monday-Friday 9:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. (closed from 2-3 p.m.)
Saturday-Sunday 9 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Get Vaccinated! As we continue to recover from COVID-19 I strongly encourage anyone who is able to get a vaccine to do so. It is easier than ever to get a safe and free vaccine.
You can easily find a list of providers close to you HERE
Open Enrollment Begins November 1st!
The ACA Health Insurance Marketplace begins open enrollment November 1st and will run through January 15th, 2022. Visit Get Covered Illinois to learn about eligibility and review their pore-enrollment checklist.
Northfield Township Tax Appeal Workshop November 9th
Board of Review Commissioner Michael Cabonargi will be hosting a workshop for homeowners to learn about the property tax appeal process and how to file an appeal online. There will be a presentation followed by a Q&A afterwards.
Community Outreach Office Hours
My office alongside Sen. Villivalam, Sen. Fine, Rep. Stoneback and Rep. Gabel will be hosting community office hours at the Skokie Public Library and Wilmette Public library. Our staff will be available to help you with State services. Come out and see us if you are in need of assistance or have questions!
District Shout Out – Evanston Women’s History Project
This month, local Suffragist and Women’s Rights Activist, Catharine Waugh McCulloch will be honored with the installation of a National Votes for Women Trail Marker at the newly renovated McCulloch Park in Evanston.
I wanted to give a special shout out to the Evanston Women’s History Project, led by Lori Osborne, for their hard work in getting this marker installed. You can read more about this project at the Evanston Women’s History Project website HERE.
Events in the District
- 83rd Anniversary of Kristallnacht Commemoration the Illinois Holocaust Museum & Education Center is hosting a program of remembrance and reflection on November 9th at 6:30 PM. Speakers will include Survivors and the German Consul General to Chicago. More information on the program and how to register can be found HERE.
- Medicare Part D Assistance Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky’s office alongside the Skokie Public Library during the weeks of November 8th and 15th will be doing one on one counseling with seniors who are selecting Part D plans. You can register beginning November 1st by calling the Library at 847-673-7774.
- Trivia in Support of Youth Services will be held on Saturday, November 13th at Athletico in Northbrook. You can sign up a team to support this great organization HERE.
- This year I was selected by the Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development for their annual leadership training program. The program included 35 lawmakers from other Midwestern States. It was a fantastic opportunity to develop new skills that will help me better serve our community. I was joined in the Illinois delegation by my colleagues Sen. Ann Gillespie and Rep. Justin Slaughter.
- The Chinese American Bar Association of Greater Chicago presented me with the Justice Laura C Liu Lifetime Achievement Award. Justice Liu was a trailblazer, as the first Chinese American elected to public office in Cook County, and I am honored to have received this award.
- I was joined by Sen. Julie Morrison, Sen. Ann Gillespie, Sen. Laura Fine, Sen. Laura Murphy and Rep. Robyn Gabel for the North Lake Shore Retired Teachers Association’s annual “Lunch With Our Legislators” program. We discussed our work this year in the General Assembly and heard about the issues of importance to these constituents.