Happy Fall! I hope you and your families are enjoying being back to school, the abundance of pumpkins and the variety of Fall Festivals around town. Please take some time to check out what my staff and I have been up to recently around the District, as well as some exciting events that are coming up.
While we are working hard to prepare for next year’s legislative session, we would love to hear from you about the State issues that matter to you most. Please feel free to reach out to my staff to let them know what you are most concerned about.
Additionally, as always, if you are ever in need of assistance, do not hesitate to contact my office. We are available weekdays at (847) 486-8810, you can also email us at email@example.com.
Representative Jennifer Gong-Gershowitz
Insider’s briefing with ADL at Temple Jeremiah
On September 6th, I hosted an insider briefing with ADL Executive Director David Goldenberg at Temple Jeremiah. We had an important conversation about HB 2954, the anti-doxing bill that I passed through the General Assembly this past session. This bill creates civil penalties for “doxing” or publishing someone’s personal information online in an attempt to harass, expose or cause harm to an individual. David also gave an update on Antisemitism and the extremist behavior that ADL has been tracking nationally.
Niles Township Respite Center Tour
On August 28, my staff and I toured the Niles Township Respite Center, located in St. Paul Lutheran Church in Skokie. We had the opportunity to see the facilities and learn about the relief and programming it offers.
Join Me in Supporting Step Up for Recovery 2023
I am proudly sponsoring Step Up for Recovery 2023, the annual fundraiser for PEER Services, a local substance use prevention and treatment nonprofit that provides treatment to all, regardless of their income or insurance status. Step Up for Recovery is a family-friendly 1-mile walk and community-builder on Saturday, September 30th from 10 am – 12 pm at Evanston’s Lakefront. As a sponsor, we have 10 free tickets for the event. To register, visit https://givebutter.com/StepUp2023 and use promo code GG. Children are free.
Nurtured by Nature Event at Harms Woods
Please join my office at the Nurtured by Nature Mental Health Fair hosted in partnership with Cook County Commissioner Josina Morita on October 1st from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Harms Woods North in Skokie. More information can be found here.
Secretary Giannoulias Announces Two “Senior Only” DMV walk in centers.
The Secretary of State’s office has launched two “Senior Only” DMV walk-in centers in the Chicago area. The two locations include the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 N. Ridge Road in Evanston and Seat Gee Stadium, 7000 S. Harlem Ave. in Bridgeview. Seniors at these locations will not need appointments. Seniors still have the option to make a standard appointment at these and other locations.
Interest rates on federal student loans started accruing Sept. 1
Interest rates on all federal student loans started accruing on Sept. 1st, with payments starting Oct. 1st and servicers contacting all borrowers with their exact due date. IDFPR expects very long wait times for borrowers who call either Federal Student Aid (aka “FSA”) or their servicer with questions.To help assist Illinois borrowers, IDFPR is partnering with the University of Illinois system to provide free webinars focused on return to repayment. Here’s the link to register: https://go.uillinois.edu/repay.
Events and Opportunities
- Skokie Park District Skatium’s 50th Anniversary Skate will be on September 30th from 2:15PM – 4:15PM at the Skatium Ice Arena. There will be skating, crafts and food. For more information click here.
- Glenview Park District’s Grove Folk Fest will be held on October 1st, from 11AM – 5PM at The Grove. There will be interpreters resolving local history, along with games, music and more to celebrate the start of autumn. For more information click here.
- Evanston’s Bike the Ridge event will be held on October 1st from 9AM to 1PM. The annual event closes down a section of Ridge Ave, to give bikers the rare experience of biking along the street, which usually prohibits bikes. There will be food and live music, as well as a place to get your bike repaired. For more information click here.
- Northbrook Park District’s Autumnfest will be held on October 7 from 2PM – 5PM at the Meadowhill Park. The festival includes music, food games and a pumpkin decorating contest. There will also be a sensory-friendly hour held from 12:30PM – 1:30PM. For more information click here.
- Wilmette’s Halloween Hoopla! Will be held on October 22 from 1PM – 3PM at the Wilmette Historical Museum. Families with children under 10 can come dressed up to enjoy games, crafts and a scavenger hunt. For more information click here.
- Friends of Youth Services Girlfriends’ Boutique & Bites will take place on October 26, 2023 from 4:00pm – 8:00pm. Get your girlfriends together for an awesome evening of shopping and friendship. This is the perfect opportunity to spend time together and make a difference to Youth Services and the hundreds of families whose lives are impacted each year. Local location will be announced soon. For more information click here.